Saturday, July 15, 2006

Cheese cake

Not content to have merely one lemony dessert, I decided to make these mini cheesecakes as well. The recipe comes from my aunt Vinita. I used one of those silicone baking tins (is it appropriate to call it a tin, even though it's not even a metal?).

A long time ago, when I cared about dieting, I remember reading that if you have things in small portions, you are less likely to overeat. Does that count if the little cheesecakes are so tiny that you can eat four or five at a time? I'm trying to regain my fat lost to fever. I can see my ribs, for gods sake.

Cheesecake3
The silicone tin.

Cheesecake2
The finished product, with citrusy garnish.

Vinita's Cheesecake

The filling:
500g cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
zest and juice of 2 lemons

Cream together the sugar and cream cheese.
Incorporate the eggs one at a time.
Mix in the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.

The base:
200g cookie crumbs
60g butter, melted
1/3 cup warm water

Mix together.

Press base mixture into the bottom of muffin tins.
Divide up the filling. I actually didn't have quite enough filling to go around, so I might halve the base mixture. It should make about 12 muffin-sized cheesecakes (I ended up with 18, but like I said, the filling was thin on the ground).

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

how do you like the silicone bakeware? I have the muffin cups as well, and I find that my cupcakes made in them tend to burn at the bottom or dry out more than they do in a nice metal tin... (although I love the look of cupcakes w/o the paper wrappers... unless they're fun sponge bob square pants wrappers... or pretty sophisticated dark brown wrappers).

I think calling it a tin is weird, but there's not a good word for it. Bakeware is wordy...

I made mini cheesecakes once, man, they're dangerously cute and delicious. Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy in austrailia

11:55 PM  
Blogger manoverbored said...

I thought the silicone bakeware was pretty good. I actually sat them on a metal tray because it seemed dangerously floppy as I was moving it into the oven. My cheesecakes were not burnt at the bottom, but I did notice they took longer to brown on top.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home