Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Chicken hearts


The skewer on the right has grilled chicken hearts. Yes!

No, this post is not about eating chicken hearts. However, I did not take a photo of my actual experience, which is why I yanked the above from this excellent slashfood post by Sarah Gim.

This post is really about my chickenheartedness.

I'm referring to my fear of trying new restaurants (I'll save the discussions of my other fears for another time, another blog). Really, I could have called this post "navel gazing", but where are the fun food photos for that title? If you know of any culture that specifically eats navels (and has photographs of said navels) I'd be interested. Actually, do other animals even have "outie" navels that one could eat? Can one eat an "innie" navel? I'd even settle for a photo of a dish made of umbelical cord.

Right, enough about navels. Back to my fears.

Despite my foodie-leanings, I am afraid of going into a restaurant without either prior recommendations by people I trust, or a good review from at least two or three reliable sources (let's face it, even Zagat gets it wrong sometimes). I'm also afraid of ordering stuff in a new restaurant, and even ordering new stuff in a familiar restaurant, again, unless someone recommends something to me or I hear about it from a reliable source or two.

In fact, I am an all round food conservative when it comes to restaurant choice and ordering. If I were a single issue voter (and if that issue were food) it would be GOP/Tories/Liberals all the way. In order to highlight this fact, every time I notice myself say something neurotic & conservative in this post, I shall write "neurotic & conservative", or some appropriate variant thereof, in bolded red font. Like this: (neurotic & conservative).

I say that I am this way "despite" my foodie-leanings, but in fact this fear is in part because of my foodie-leanings, coupled with my general risk-aversion. It is because I put so much importance on having tasty food that I fear going into a restaurant and having something bad. I feel regret about it for hours, days, weeks, afterwards. Also I usually tell everybody I know about my bad experience in an attempt to exorcise it (sometimes I even blog it), so it's tiresome for all concerned.

Today, however, I went into a new restaurant that I hadn't heard of before, hadn't looked up beforehand, and in fact, hadn't even thought about going to until I walked past it on my way to another restaurant and thought hey, Singaporean food! Why not, eh, mate? I didn't actually think the "mate" part, I was just trying to give some Australian flavor. I didn't actually think the "eh" part either, I was just trying to give some, umm, Canadian flavor. In fact, I didn't think any of these words specifically, I was just (neurotically) trying to give y'all the gist of my thought process, brief as it was.


I put this photo here because I thought this was getting too text-heavy. Gross, huh?

Anyhoo.

The restaurant's name was Singapore Chom-Chom (I think), and the one feature that it had to recommend itself was that it was packed. I was somewhat disheartened when I was handed the menu, which was an incredibly long list of dishes. My general (neurotic & conservative) rule of thumb is the fewer dishes there are on the menu the better each dish will be - plus, the less I'll have to wonder about which other dishes I should have ordered if mine turns out to be crap.

I was already in the mood for soup noodles (I had been heading to a good ramen place, Ajisan - recommended by my cousin and already visited conservatively twice by me), and so I limited myself to the soup noodle section of the menu. There were still a neurotically daunting 25 dishes or so. I finally settled on chicken laksa, figuring (neurotically & conservatively) that it's hard to mess up something with coconut milk in it, and deliberately avoiding the regular laksa, which had shrimp. That is another (neurotic & conservative) rule of thumb - avoid seafood in new restaurants.

So they got my order wrong and I ended up having the regular (shrimp) laksa. The shrimp was, as I had neurotically but correctly feared, not too fresh, and overcooked. Fortunately, there was only one piece of it. The rest of the bowl was packed with chewy noodles, earthy beansprouts, sweetly brown deep-fried pork skins, springy fishcake and juicy fried tofu puffs.

Ooh, I feel a bit like Patricia Unterman (she of the long lists of adjectivized nouns).

The service was efficient, if a little bit rushed. The place stayed packed well past the lunch hour, so it was totally understandable. In the end, the bill came to only A$8, which is about US$6. Leaving a tip is not expected in Australia and, conservatively, I didn't.

An added bonus - because the place was packed and people were subtly encouraged to eat and go, there wasn't much lingering and chatting, which made me feel (neurotically) like less of a loser for having lunch by myself (just me and my New Yorker, which, because of the importedness, cost more than lunch).

So overall, I conquered my neurosis and conservatism, and I had a good experience at a new restaurant near my work.

I think it is fair to say - WOOT!


Click here to read more...

5 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

Interesting. I'm totally different, but that's probably why I moved from San Francisco, the city I love, to Korea years ago.

I definitely will rely on a good review from a friend or acquaintance. However, you sometimes don't have that when you're traveling, so my rule is if it's packed with locals then I'll try it. I made a few bad choices when I first started traveling by picking up the local tourist rag and look at the ads or choosing from my travel guide.

Most of those were stone cold nightmares or empty restaurants and bad food. In contrast, if I follow the locals, I get a good meal and sometimes even good conversation which leads to more local tips. ;-)

6:08 AM  
Blogger manoverbored said...

Hi expatjane, I think you're our first outside commenter! Welcome to the blog! :) I love SF too!

It's a good thing that there are adventurous souls like yourself in the world, otherwise people like me might never eat out ever.

Following the locals is a really good rule - it makes sense! Far more reliable than guidebooks, especially those tourist ones. However, I was once told a story by a professor of mine (possibly merely a rumor) that there was this noodle store in Beijing that had lines around the block every day at lunch time. It turned out they were lacing the noodles with cocaine!

How is the dining in Korea as compared to SF?

9:06 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Tsk tsk, minger, the food revolution will not be written up by Zagats!

I really enjoy the wild ride of trying new places. I think there is no greater joy than finding a restaurant is forgotten or off the beaten path.

11:03 AM  
Blogger manoverbored said...

Food adventure is for the food adventurous, not the neurotic and conservative.

Also, there might be a problem with comment notification. I didn't get an email notification for expatjane's comment on this post.

4:45 PM  
Blogger manoverbored said...

Ok I just got the notification. Like *after* the notification for my reply to her comment. As Strongbad would say: The system is down. The system is down.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home