Friday, July 21, 2006

Food-type Product

In the spirit of Ming's post about food conservatism and bad food aversion, I'd like to see how folks respond to this thought:

Is it better to eat food-like products for sustenance than to eat bad food?

For example, today I opted to eat a Clif Bar rather than go to the EA cafeteria. My rationale was that the Clif Bar will not register as "food" in the food-judgment-region of my brain, whereas the cafeteria food would be recognizable enough, but be utterly bad, so as to cause a "bad food experience."

1 Comments:

Blogger manoverbored said...

To me eating food-like products is a bit like masturbation. There are still good food-like products and bad food-like products, but you don't really compare them to food (which can also be good and bad). Just as with masturbation, I'd rather have a good/neutral experience eating a food-like product than a bad experience eating food.

This reminds me - as a kid, even though I liked food, I was even more excited by food replacements. I used to think, with great pleasure, of the day when you could replace a meal with a pill. How weird is that? But perhaps I had a nascent realization that having pills that replaced meals on hand might spare people the trauma of actual bad meals.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home